The Challenge of Starting Golf Season
With golf season rapidly approaching, you may be wondering how you can improve your golf game this year? Sure, you can take lessons or read about changing your technique, but it may backfire if you don’t have the mobility, strength, and body awareness to make those changes. Pilates exercises for golf will help you move more effectively and master your movement potential. THEN when you try to make those specific golf technique changes, you have a better chance of actually making it happen.
Best Exercises for Golf
You may not think of Pilates when you think of the best golf exercises, but it is the perfect combo of strength and flexibility when done correctly. You are never overstretching or over-training any muscle. Pilates helps you connect your mind to your body. Body awareness is one of the critical factors in up-leveling your golf game.
The Benefits of Pilates for Golfers
- It is non-impactful to your joints. Golf can be a pretty impactful game. Pilates will balance this out.
- It trains both sides of the body. When you play golf, you are swinging in the same direction every time. One side of your body works hard, and the other not as much. Pilates can bring back some balance.
- Speaking of balance, Pilates can work on balance and stability.
- Power from your center or core. Pilates teaches you to work from the center out. Your power and control should come from your center or core.
- Pilates works on the connection between your body and mind. Golf is a mental game. I am sure you have had moments where you just wished your body would listen to your brain. PIlates strengthens that connection, making it one of the best exercises for golf.
- Great for recovery. Golf can take a toll on your body after time. Pilates is great for recovery and restoration.
How to Learn
Learning Pilates doesn’t have to be complicated. One way is to work with or take classes from a certified Pilates professional with experience working with golfers; bonus if they understand golf. You could work with them in person at a Pilates studio or do classes with them online. If you go to a studio, they will have all the equipment there. If you are doing the workouts at home, you may need to purchase a few things to make your workouts more comfortable. Check out my post on how to start a Pilates workout.
Pilates Exercises for Golf
Here is one set of exercises that you can do at home without any equipment. These four simple exercises are good to do everyday if you want. After doing them consistently, you will be surprised how much better you get at them. If you are interested in a more in-depth and progressive golf workout plan, please reach out to me and I can fill you in on my different training Programs.
The Results from Consistent Pilates
If you consistently do Pilates in the offseason and keep up with workouts during the season, you will notice you have more control over your swing. You will also feel looser during your golf game. Pilates and its emphasis on the mind-body connection will help with any technical changes you want to make with your game. It doesn’t take much more than 30 minutes done consistently 2-3 times per week. Please reach out if you would like some help with your off-season golf prep.